Obama speaks with aides about second Ebola case
David Jackson, USA TODAY
President Obama met Monday with senior aides about Ebola, including the question of how a second person in Dallas contracted the deadly virus.
“The President was briefed on the status of the investigation into the apparent breach in infection control protocols at the Dallas hospital and remedial actions underway to mitigate similar breaches in the future,” said a White House statement.
Aides “described the surge in personnel and other resources to Dallas to assist in the investigation as well as other measures to heighten awareness and increase training for healthcare workers throughout the country,” the White House added.
Obama told his team that the investigation “should proceed as expeditiously as possible and that lessons learned should be integrated into future response plans and disseminated to hospitals and healthcare workers nationwide,” the White House said.
The president also spoke about global efforts to contain the Ebola in phone calls to a pair of world leaders, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and French President Francois Hollande.
The White House meeting was added to what had been a blank public schedule for Obama on this Columbus Day, a federal holiday.
Obama did not speak about his team’s anti-Ebola efforts. Photographers were allowed in for only a brief time at the start of the meeting.
The participants, according to the White House:
— Sylvia Burwell, Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services;
— Susan Rice, National Security Advisor;
— Tom Frieden, Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (via telephone);
— Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism.